Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jolie Blon's Bounce not very bouncy!

I finished reading James Lee Burke's Jolie Blon's Bounce about a month ago, but because of too much to do and too little time to do it, I am just now getting around to posting my review!

Jolie Blon's Bounce is one of Burke's detective novels starring Dave Robicheaux. The plot was interesting, but I like my mysteries to be more suspenseful. This novel had too much description and not enough heart-pounding suspense. I read to escape, so I usually do not enjoy lengthy narrative descriptions of the countryside. Burke's style reminded me of when I tried to read Gone With the Wind. I had loved the movie as a teenager and wanted to read the book. The lengthy descriptions of dresses and Georgia countryside bored me to tears and I gave up. On a positive note, the descriptions in Jolie Blon's Bounce are very accurate and remind me of home. The sights of my New Iberia, where I was born, brought me back and I could picture the action as if I were watching it in person.

Here is my favorite line of the book, and it is so true! Spoken by Dave's friend Clete Purcell, "This is Louisiana, Dave...Quit pretending it's the United States. Life will make a lot more sense." That sums up my Louisiana perfectly!

No comments: