I have to admit that I am having quite a hard time deciding what to read for this southern challenge...mainly because I am discovering, much to my chagrin, that I don't really like a whole lot that is southern! The HORROR! I am learning that my tastes run more toward all things British. Does the Harry Potter theme give that away at all???Being a mathematician, it is probably not surprising that I love puzzles. And what makes for a more exciting puzzle than a mystery of some sort? In particular, I love novels with historical searches, such as Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. Right now I am reading Map of Bones by James Rollins (who is from Chicago and now lives in California, darn!) and hope to begin The Eight by Katherine Neville soon. (She was born in Missouri. Does that count? Probably not as she now lives in New York I believe.)
I also love supernatural stuff such as Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Growing up with a strict Southern Baptist mother, I enjoy reading these novels because it allows me to see a world outside of the narrow confines I grew up with, in a way my mother never allowed. Call it my own form of rebellion.
With that in mind, I have heard about a few books that might qualify, and be to my liking, such as Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson. If any of my Southern Buddies know of any books that I should check out, please let me know. :)
5 comments:
Some fun mysteries set in the south by Tunica native Charlaine Harris might be perfect for you! Her Sookie Stackhouse character is in love with a vampire; plus, there are werewolves, shapeshifters, and every book is set in New Orleans. They can be funny at times, too.
Did you know Anne Rice lives and works in New Orleans? Any of her historical vampire books qualify b/c New Orleans is usually a scene in the book.
A hard-boiled ex-alcoholic, character Dave Robicheaux inhabits James Lee Burke's mysteries which are set in New Orleans. Um, these are w/o vampires. :)
Well, I poked around and saw some names you might like. Henrietta Ford writing is described as "a combination of suspense, deception and betrayal flavored with just a pinch of humor." Also, there is Charlaine Harris and some of Nevada Barr's novels are set in the south. She is now a New Orleans native.
Enjoy, I'm having the same problem...I don't read a lot of southern stuff myself. I do have some favorites from the south, but unfortunately, there stories are usually set in the NY or LA.
Thanks for both of your helpful suggestions! Actually, Maggie answered a question I was going to call my mom about this afternoon, about the Dave Robicheaux character. We listened to one of Burke's novels as an audiobook while traveling with my parents a few years ago. (They only listen to audibooks in the car.) I remember enjoying it, but could not remember the author. Growing up in the heart of cajun country, I recognise so many of the places in those novels, it is exciting to read them.
Thanks, again!
you could always try Anne Rice. New Orleans gothic?
Thanks, Jo Ellen!
Post a Comment